This is our go-to recipe every weekend (and some weekdays). I think I saw it on a Jamie Oliver cooking show but I have tweaked it to suit our needs. I've used different kinds of flours and they pretty much turned out great every time. And of course, the kiddies can join in too as it's a fairly easy recipe to prepare the ingredients ahead for them. Umar loves the pouring and mixing involved.
Basic pancakes recipe (makes about 12 good-sized pancakes)
1 cup self raising flour*
1 large egg
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
Simply multiply recipe for bigger serves.
- Place flour in a medium bowl. Crack the egg in the middle and whisk.
- Gradually add in milk and essence and whisk until thoroughly mixed.
- Leave for 5-10 minutes for the raising agents to work their magic.
- In the meantime, heat up your pans (I usually put a few on so I can cook through a few pancakes at once.)
- Start cooking! (I put the pancake mix in a condiment bottle with the opening widened (cut) a tad more to get nice round pancakes)
- When the top bubbles, it's time to flip and a minute more and your pancakes are ready!
- Serve with fresh fruit/berries, butter and plenty of maple syrup, yum!
Thank you for stopping by!